Bantry Age Friendly Town
Dementia Information Evening.
The information evening is to start identifying what is required to make Bantry and the surrounding areas to be dementia friendly communities. The first step includes raising awareness of the extent of the difficulties arising from dementia both for individual and for communities.
World Health Organisation defines a ‘ dementia-inclusive community (or society) is one where people with dementia and their carers and families experience no stigma and discrimination and fully enjoy participation, inclusion, empowerment, respect, dignity, equality, freedom, accessibility, independent living, and quality of life.’
Dr. Brian Carey, Consultant Geriatrician, BGH: Ber O’Riordan, – Living with Dementia and PJ Cooke, Cork Kerry Healthcare, HSE: will speak on the night. There will also be a Q & A opportunity during the evening.
Date May 23rd
Location – Maritime Hotel
Time; 7pm – 9pm
- What is dementia ( Local information on numbers of people with dementia, services available, service gaps. ) – Brian Carey, Consultant Geriatrician, Bantry General Hospital. Generic information on what is dementia.
- Living with dementia – interview with Ber O Riordan
- What makes a dementia friendly community – PJ Cooke, Cork Kerry Community Healthcare (HSE)
Questions from the audience
Table Discussion on what is needed to make Bantry and the surrounding communities inclusive of people living with dementia
Information stalls – with literature/ people to talk to from relevant services, including;
- Citizens Information Service
- Family carers Ireland,
- Memory resource room ( St Finbarr’s, Cork)
- Singing for the brain.
- Technology providers
- Bantry age Friendly.
The Alzheimer Society Information Bus will be available at the Square on Monday 23rd. & Tuesday 24th. should you wish to avail of their services.
- raise awareness about local ASI services and about dementia,
- distribute leaflets to people passing-by,
- invite people on-board to view information and resources; and
- facilitate private one-to-one conversation on-board.